Sunday, April 3, 2011

A legendary painter in Canada



Tom Thomson is famous for his great paintings that he drew but he died for unexplained reasons. His real name is Thomas John Thomson and he grew up in Leith and his birthday was the 5th August 1877. Thomson was an influenial artist for a group of painters called the Group of Seven and as I saw his pictures in the internet I knew he was a real genius.


Thomsons life and his death:


First he worked at an iron foundry of his father´s friend but he was fired when his teacher wasn´t really happy about his tardiness. At the age of 22 he wanted to start a carrier as a soldier but he wasn´t in the right medical trim. 1905 and 1906 he studied and after that Thomson joined an artistic design firm in Toronto, where the Group of Seven also worked. Some time later Thomson found his passion to paint often when he travelled around the area of Canada and got inspired while looking at trees and lakes like the Canoe Lake. In that time his carrier rose and he had a studio and worked with other painters. Additionally he worked as a fire fighter, a rager and a guide in Algonquin Park so I think Thomson wanted to present the powerul nature in his works.


On July 8, 1917 Thomson disappeared while having a trip to Canoe Lake. It was said that he was drowned but other people say that he was murdered by a rival of him because there would be fishing line around his leg and his head was hurt.

I think it´s a very tragical story of a great painter and if he didn´t die, he would paint more wonderful paintings. His workes inspire me and they are so colourful and I would put a painting on my sleeping room wall so I would always get a big sime when I wake up.




http://www.andrewhamilton.ca/tomthomsonproject/wp-content/andrew%20hamilton%20tom%20thomson2.JPG

2 comments:

  1. I like your post and how you explain something in such an easy way. I've never heard something about Tom Thompson, also beaucse I'm not so much in art and design, but it seems that he was such a popluar person, especially in Canada and had an artistic talent. I took a snoop in the internet and I was impressed about his pictures. His paintings gives the beauty of the nature back to us in a special way which seems sometimes more lovely as in the reality. Very good text and I think a very important topic for the candadian culture. Hope, we'll see more of these articles in the following time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again a conspiracy theory about a famous person, but now from Canada :-) Sorry for mey delay Romina, I had to prepare some homework for the studienseminar this week :-)
    As I've already said, I like your texts because of your writing style. Especially your text structure is very elaborate. It's a good idea to highlight important words and phrases...
    By the way I also liked the paintings of Tom Thompson...

    ReplyDelete