Monday, March 14, 2011

Australian ANZAC biscuits




The ANZAC biscuits, also known as ANZAC cookies or -wafers, are traditional biscuits in Australia. They have been created during the first wor
ld war from wifes and women who wanted to supply their husbands, fathers or sons which have been soldiers of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. Because of that, they are known as "ANZAC" biscuits. The women had to send their more or less loved dears food, which can be transported well, which keep long, which is nutritious and naturally which ingredients are cheap. So the ingredients of ANZAC biskuits are usual things like flour, sugar and oat flakes. Today, ANZAC biscuits are also called ANZAC cookies because of the influence of the English language. It's traditional to eat ANZAC biscuits on ANZAC day.

Now the recept:
You need:
I. 120g flour
100g oat flakes
80g coconut flakes
150g brown sugar

II. 120g margarine
50g sugar beet syrup

III. 1 teaspoon sodium carbonate
2 eatspoon water

also:
1 bowl
1 cooking pot
1 baking tray


Preparation:
1st Take all ingredients from I. to the bowl and mix them till they are mixed.

2nd Take the margarine and the sugar beet syrup to the cooking pot and heat them with low temperature till they are melted. Then you take them next to the cooker and let hem getting colder.

3rd Heat the oven up to 150°. Then, mix the ingredients from III. and give it to the melted margarine-syrup-mix. After that, you give the margarine-syrup-mix to the first mix you made (you know, the one with ingredients from I.!) and mix all.

4rd Take the teaspoon and make little dots of the mixture on the baking tray. Let distance between the dots, because they go into every direction while baking.
5th Bake the biscuits ~15 minutes till they are gold-brown and let them cool down.


I don't think, that anyone would really bake the biscuits, so I take on this job.
I bring them with me on Monday and I hope, you'll enjoy eating them and post comments! ;)



Video of preparation:

Pictures from:

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! If you're interested in australian recipes, try Lamingtons, those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. They look tasty, but I think they have too much sugar and fat for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really look very tasty! :-) very nice article with a lot of background information...
    I also want to thank you for your comments Clara! I hope your clasmates would also make some comments to each other becaus I think our blog is really very informative and intersting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They taste very good.:D
    A little bit like "Kokosmakronen".
    I like it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice entry and very interesting topic. I's great that you have choosen this subject, because the history of this food makes it very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ANZAC biscuits are very tasty :)
    So I will bake them surely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased about your reactions!
    @Suppe: You asked for the German recept, here it is:
    http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/2467.htm
    But I hope you'll bake the biscuits with the English recept! :)

    ReplyDelete